Our Leadership Development Model
WE IDENTIFY POTENTIAL We comb Africa for youth who have shown the spark of initiative, who see what can be and strive to make it so.
WE DEVELOP THROUGH PRACTICE Young leaders complete an intensive program of intellectual growth and hands-on leadership development.
WE CONNECT TO OPPORTUNITIES Young leaders are guided by a powerful network along their path to transformative impact in Africa.
Director of Marketing and Communications
ALA's first decade proved our founding thesis: that deliberate and deep investment in high potential youth can unleash transformational change on the continent. Our young leaders have demonstrated the ability to imagine and implement solutions to pressing challenges across a range of sectors and disciplines - from the provision of education, to the delivery of healthcare, to the creation of jobs.
Our stresses the delivery of three strategic priorities:
We will win in the marketplace, building our brand and market demand for our leadership development programs as a model social enterprise;
We will invest in learning and innovation in our diploma program, such that we improve our outcomes and share our learning with the broader sector; and
We will unleash our network, engaging our alumni as partners in our mission and catalyzing their impact across diverse sector pathways.
Our Director of Marketing and Communications will enable all of these priorities. The Director will join our executive team and be central to fulfilling the win in the marketplace objective of ALA 2023, building a brand that resonates across our programs and networks.
Leading and working with a high performing team, the Director of Marketing and Communications will bring expertise across communications, technical and strategic marketing, and a track record of delivery that has elevated brands, fostered passionate customers, and delivered sustainable revenue growth. The Director of Marketing and Communications reports into the CEO.
The Role & Responsibilities
While driving our win in the marketplace objective, the Director of Marketing and Communications will support strategic priorities that serve the needs of the entire organization. The Director will be responsible for ownership of our organizational communications strategy, building organizational capability, and shaping the impact of our work on individuals and organisations across Africa.
This leader will be deeply focused on customer understanding and dialogue with youth, their parents, and other educational institutions across Africa and globally. Primary responsibilities to enable such focus and engagement will include:
Program recruitment strategy and implementation
- Collaboration with the Head of Program Recruitment and Partnerships (direct report) and their team of five associates to evaluate markets and develop our approach to recruitment strategies in each market.
- Enhance our operational excellence and monitoring processes through the evaluation of tools and systems to support recruitment; currently, the team uses Pipedrive, Toky, Trello, and Google dashboards to monitor and track progress.
- Co-lead the planning and design for signature recruitment and marketing events, such as conferences and speaking engagements.
- Collaboration with the Head of Marketing (direct report) and their team of three associates to plan, improve, implement and manage our marketing strategy via rigorous analysis to make evidence-based decisions, as well as through stakeholder engagement and team enablement.
- Define, develop, and test appropriate messages for all marketing platforms, including organic content and advertisements.
- Evaluate use of tools and systems to ensure optimal performance of marketing messages.
- Ensure quality control on content creation and distribution across website, social media, newsletter, and print distribution, ensuring frequency, appropriateness and quality control.
- Monitor external environment to provide perspective on internal and external messaging.
- Define the ALA communications strategy, brand book, and internal training and development programs.
- Oversee the production (content brainstorming, editing and quality control) of key external collateral and scope and deliver new campaigns - such as the recent
Contribute to executive team
- Contribute to monthly and quarterly Exco meetings with perspective from department and external environment, such as market trends and potential leads and growth opportunities.
- Contribute to general executive decision making as required.
Profile of an Ideal Candidate
A visionary leader who will elevate our public position to reflect the quality of our programs and leaders, as well as who will initiate a global conversation about leadership development and Africa.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following behaviours:
- Commitment to ALA's mission and passion for the African continent, its people and its future.
- Track record of ownership
- Commitment to excellence
- Strategic mindset
- Professional demeanour and presentation
- Communication skills (writing, presenting, editing, packaging, distribution)
- Leadership skills, including emotional intelligence (self-awareness and empathy)
- Project management (planning, design, communication, execution, reporting and assessment)
- Brand management
- Data driven decision making that involves collecting data based on measurable goals or KPIs, analyzing patterns and facts from these insights, and utilizing them to develop strategies that will benefit the organization.
- Collaborative skills (across cultures, departments and organizations, fostering win-win partnerships).
- Relationship management (internal and external stakeholders)
- Coaching and developing people
- Conflict resolution
- Budgeting and financial management
- A demonstrated track record of managerial skill and communications excellence.
- Experience leading teams to achieve exceptional results.
- Undergraduate degree expected. Graduate degree in any management/communications discipline may be helpful.
- Relevant industry and function experience may include:
- Product and/or brand management
- Marketing (especially digital)
- Copywriting and Editing
- Media and Communications
Start Date: November or December 2020 (remote start possible)
African Leadership Academy